Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Cold sweats....not good!

Well, kids started back to school Monday and I was thrown back into the routine. No more staying under the heating blanket until I couldn't take it anymore in the morning, no more days of nothing to do and no where to go and no more hanging out with my kids and wife all day. Back to reality! So I thought. The kids have a snow day already! It is Wednesday and the kids have been watching TV for about an hour and a half already. Time to crack the whip...Well, I'll wait until I finish the posting.

As I type, I find myself again guilty about my lack of consistency in these posts. I thank those of you who are still coming around to read my random thoughts of my life and I promise to be more consistent with my postings in 2010.

I am happy this is a blog and not some organized paper as I would really get marked down for not being on subject. What I want to talk about today is my oldest daughter and the cold sweat I experienced last week. Between Christmas and New Years, she was scheduled(atleast she thought) to get her braces off. It all started with her last appointment before Christmas when they said, in 2 weeks when the retainers come in, you can get your braces off. Well, 2 weeks was right after Christmas and she began asking me when her appointment would be. I started calling the ortho. 2 days after Christmas to find out if they had gotten her retainers in. After 2 days of calling, they finally called us and said the retainers were in and they could fit her in on January 11th to remove them. January 11th! That wasn't going to work! They had another office about a half hour away and they could take them off on December 31st. Much better, but the time was 8:20 in the morning, which she was not thrilled about, but she wanted them off, so we took it! Luckily that day was one of the few "no new snow days" that we have had in Nebraska this winter which made the trip possible.

We got there on time, which in itself was good news, with the early arrival time. They took her back right away and I busied myself by cleaning up my iphoto, which I don't think I had done all year. After about an hour, she was all done and she and the hygienist came out. She had retainers in both the top and bottom. She talked funny as her tongue was trying to get used to the retainers in her mouth. I didn't notice that as much as I noticed my young daughter didn't look so much like my little girl anymore, she looked like a young women.

This "young women" concept was illustrated more fully for me that night when we were having friends over for New Years Eve. As we were preparing food and drinks for the night, she was showering and getting ready. When she came down and walked into the kitchen, the cold sweat began immediately for me! I couldn't believe what I was seeing! She looked atleast 16 to me and more beautiful than I had ever seen her. I tried to keep my composure, but the sweats had taken over my body. My thoughts went immediately to what boys would think of her new look and the thoughts in general of boys. Cold sweats consumed every part of me. Trying to make a taco dip being consumed by cold sweats is a hard task. "Do the green onions come next or the tomatoes?" She is never dating! I was somehow able to keep my composure, finish the taco dip and not let on to my wife or my daughter all the thoughts I was having about boys her age!

Not sure how to end this blog because no matter what I do, she isn't going to stop growing up. At least at this point, she really isn't that interested in boys, so I have that going for me. Maybe I can forget about all this stuff for awhile, oh wait...there is an 8th grade dance this spring! I'm screwed.


No comments:

Post a Comment